It is the first of the year and some of us are already experiencing difficulties with our resolutions. A couple of articles I came across this week made me wonder: is willpower enough to make us change? Well, I don’t know if I can answer that question in one post but here are some thoughts.
- Most of us start with the best of intentions when we want to change.
- When faced with our everyday lives those intentions often prove difficult to overcome the day-in and day-out pressures we all face.
- Real change can happen if you expect difficulty and plan for it.
So, if you have already gotten off track on your resolutions, DON’T QUIT.
- Look at your goal. Was it realistic. Redefine what is possible. For example, I will fit exercise into my life for 20 minutes a day is much more realistic than: I will work out six days a week for one hour a day.
- Commit to a plan and schedule it. Tell a friend and enlist support.
- Track your progress. Expect setbacks and reward your success. Learn from your difficulties and learn to do it differently….BUT DON’T THROW IN THE TOWEL!
Remember that change won’t happen overnight but it will happen if you are committed to doing things differently over time.